This product contains lesson plans and support materials for teaching kids how to write a “gold medal” math response.
The detailed lesson plan identifies the CCSS standards and mathematical practices taught and the Marzano Design Questions addressed.
I used this lesson plan for my own formal classroom observation. It took two sessions for me to complete with my students.
Day 1 consisted of introducing the three math response examples to the kids. They read and discussed them and identified the gold medial, silver medal and bronze responses. They also identified what made them have those rankings. Together we decided on the traits of a gold medal response. Day 2 consisted of review, independent practice, reteaching and critique.
The math problems included in this product require students to add, subtract and multiply money amounts. Division of whole numbers is also used in a problem. Some problems are multi-step.
These lessons were a game changer for my kids. Their writing in math class improved greatly. Here's what this product includes:
1. Two pages of Teacher Talk overview pages.
2. 5 pages of workshop lesson plans, with standards and design questions identified.
3. 3 student response samples for students evaluate (black and white).
4. 1 math problem for the whole group portion of the lesson (black and white).
5. 2 pages for student response and reflection about gold medal math responses (black and white).
6. One gold medal, one silver medal & one bronze medal, colored, for cardstock printing.
7. 1 math notebook/note-taking sheet for student use (black and white).
8. 1 anchor chart example.
9. 4 pages for independent practice for student use (black and white).
If you're looking for a way to challenge your math writers, this is it!