Measurement Unit Preview
This comprehensive unit introduces science students to the metric system of measurement. Teachers and students create a playful classroom with real-life measurement activities. Using 5E BSCS Model and integrating 21st Century Skills such as, collaboration, critical thinking and problem solving skills, teachers lay a foundation for a strong science curriculum. Technology connects students with the global community and brings awareness to diverse cultures.
Unit Objectives: Students will be able to:
1. Identify measuring tools.
2. Define the measurement vocabulary and metric system prefixes.
3. Accurately use a metric ruler to measure length, width, and depth.
4. Accurately read and record the measurements in the metric units.
5. Understand the difference between mass and weight, and measure mass of various objects.
6. Measure volume of solids and liquids.
7. Measure temperature in Celsius.
8. Create a Measurement Project Booklet.
Students read and respond to a book mentioned in the lesson using a reading response organizer. I have used elementary grades science books for read-aloud or independent/paired reading assignments. I am surprised by how older students love such books. Don’t hesitate to ask students about their favorite science book or show. You will get an insight into their interests and helps create a more inclusive classroom.
These lessons can be used with Smart Board platforms. Using tablets, laptops or desktops helps enhance learning experience and reinforces abstract concepts with animations and simulations.