Also included in
- A complete teaching package for Space. Your unit comes with nine lessons, lab station activities, projects, bell ringers, activities, and more. Everything you need to teach the unit over 4-5 weeks. Your unit also contains my daily teaching schedule so you'll know what to teach and when as well as a$47.47$86.71Save $39.24
- Our Solar System - Fully editable and Complete 5E Lesson. Everything you need to teach a unit on Our Solar System. This fully-editable, no prep bundle follows the 5E model and provides step-by-step instructions on how to implement it in your classroom. Each included resource is either completely or$14.97$29.94Save $14.97
- MS-ESS1-2 and MS-ESS1-3 - Earth's Place in the Universe - A NGSS Bundle for middle school students. Everything you need in one tidy package including a daily teaching schedule, lessons, activities, and assessments. The daily schedule covers 6 teaching days which can be reduced or expanded as needed.$21.97$43.93Save $21.96
- MS-ESS1 1-4 - Earth's Place in the Universe - A NGSS Bundle of Bundles for middle school students. This package includes my MS-ESS1-1, MS-ESS1-2, MS-ESS1-3, and MS-ESS1-4 bundles. Everything you need in one tidy package including daily teaching schedules for each standard, lessons, activities, and a$78.97$156.75Save $77.78
A 1-3 day Space activity your kids will love and geared to three different learning levels. Get your students to build a model solar system 25 feet long to scale. Can be used to review our solar system or as a pre-instructional activity to get your kids thinking. I've been using this activity for many years and it always gets my kids excited and keeps them engaged.
***********This activity can also be found bundled at a significant discount in my Our Solar System - Complete 5E Lesson Bundle. If you'd like to take a look, please CLICK HERE.
Buyer Comments: "I loved this activity. Our class had many compliments on our work."
"Students in my multi-grade classroom had a great time working through this activity."
This was a great addition to my curriculum. Very thorough and effective!"
"We're really looking forward to this!"
"Students loved it!"
The Model Solar System Activity has three versions depending on your student’s ability level (also for those of you who don’t use metric, I've included three additional tables that utilize imperial measurements).
1) The first version is for lower grades (usually grades 4-7) and has conversions already completed. This chart can also be used as an answer key! All that’s needed is for your students to measure, cut and paste.
2) The second version has the table partially filled out and is for older grades (7-9) as it requires some simple math to scale the distances.
3) The third version (grade 9 and above) requires your students to think a little more and also perform some research as the students will need to determine real-life diameters and distances. This is an excellent opportunity to have your students use their own technology (cell phones, etc.) in a school appropriate fashion.
You might also be interested in the following activities as they relate directly to our solar system.
This assignment can also be found within the Space Unit by clicking here. Purchasing the unit saves you 40% compared with buying each item separately.
I also have a range assignments, activities and lessons/units from other grade levels at my store.Please CLICK HERE to have a look around and don’t forget to follow if you like what you see.
Also, please visit my blog Teach With Fergy for my thoughts on teaching, learning and everything in between.