A 1-3 day Space activity your kids will love and geared to three different learning levels. Get your students to build a model solar system 25 feet long to scale. Can be used to review our solar system or as a pre-instructional activity to get your kids thinking. I've been using this activity for many years and it always gets my kids excited and keeps them engaged.
***********This activity can also be found bundled at a significant discount in my Our Solar System - Complete 5E Lesson Bundle. If you'd like to take a look, please CLICK HERE.
Buyer Comments: "I loved this activity. Our class had many compliments on our work."
"Students in my multi-grade classroom had a great time working through this activity."
This was a great addition to my curriculum. Very thorough and effective!"
"We're really looking forward to this!"
"Students loved it!"
The Model Solar System Activity has three versions depending on your student’s ability level (also for those of you who don’t use metric, I've included three additional tables that utilize imperial measurements).
1) The first version is for lower grades (usually grades 4-7) and has conversions already completed. This chart can also be used as an answer key! All that’s needed is for your students to measure, cut and paste.
2) The second version has the table partially filled out and is for older grades (7-9) as it requires some simple math to scale the distances.
3) The third version (grade 9 and above) requires your students to think a little more and also perform some research as the students will need to determine real-life diameters and distances. This is an excellent opportunity to have your students use their own technology (cell phones, etc.) in a school appropriate fashion.
You might also be interested in the following activities as they relate directly to our solar system.
• Our Solar System - 7 Engaging Lab Station Activities
• Our Solar System - Space Lesson Package and Assignment
• Our Solar System - Device-Based Scavenger Hunt Activity
This assignment can also be found within the Space Unit by clicking here
. Purchasing the unit saves you 40% compared with buying each item separately.
I also have a range assignments, activities and lessons/units from other grade levels at my store. Please CLICK HERE to have a look around and don’t forget to follow if you like what you see.
Also, please visit my blog Teach With Fergy
for my thoughts on teaching, learning and everything in between.