I can guarantee that you will teach and assess multiplication facts more efficiently after implementing the recommendations made in this packet.
You're probably teaching and assessing the same way you learned when you were a kid: flash cards, mad minutes, repeat until learned. However, the way we teach and assess multiplication facts denies the fact that neuroscience has found that memorizing and recalling multiplication facts is done in the region of the brain associated with language.
This 32 page packet will explain in great detail the neuroscience of how we learn and remember multiplication facts, and how we can apply that to our work in the classroom.
Among the things you will learn:
• Not all multiplication facts are the same: chances are, your students are practicing facts that are not really "facts" at all. Here's how you can streamline your teaching and focus on the concepts, strategies and facts that are truly productive, and eliminate those tasks that are completely inefficient or unproductive.
• Our assessment is outdated and doesn't actually do what it is supposed to do. Here is a much better way to assess your students' recall of multiplication facts so you (and your students) really know what facts ought to be practiced.
• Your students are practicing and practicing, but they still don't recall the facts. That's because it has nothing to do with how much you practice, it has to do with what you do before you practice.
• Your students need scaffolding as they move on to more advanced topics in multiplication: here are two techniques for helping your students as they learn more and more multiplication facts (which doesn't involve shame or humiliation....)
This packet includes a full, step by step description on how you can bring advances of neuroscience into your classroom. It will change how you teach, assess and remediate your students' facility with single digit multiplication now and forever.
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. I value your feedback. It helps me to make resources that meet your needs.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, free resources and product launches:
• Look for the green star near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower. You will then receive customized email updates about my new products.