Are your second or third graders struggling with word problems? Fill in their word problem gaps by starting with the basics. This is addition and subtraction word problem intervention!
In this RTI packet, you will find a comprehensive system to reteach the one-step addition and subtraction situations for each grade level from K-2
. The situations for each grade level are based on research from the Cognitively Guided Instruction (CGI) approach to mathematics. Common Core explicitly calls out the situations that students in each grade should have mastered.
This packet is ideal for 2nd graders who should have ALL of the included problem types mastered by the end of their grade. It can also be used for struggling 3rd graders. Third graders with gaps in one-step addition/subtraction problems will benefit from intervention before moving on to two-step problems with all four operations!
Included in the packet are:
- 5 assessments
- progress monitoring graph
- a flipbook to reteach all problem situations
* Add To/Result Unknown
* Add To/Change Unknown
* Add To/Start Unknown
* Take From/Result Unknown
* Take From/Change Unknown
* Take From/Start Unknown
* Put Together, Take Apart/Total Unknown
* Put Together, Take Apart/Added Unknown
* Compare/Difference Unknown
* Compare/Bigger Unknown ("more" and "fewer" variations)
* Compare/Smaller Unknown ("more" and "fewer" variations)
- problem sets of 5 questions for each problem situation (14 total)
- 10 mixed problem sets of 5 questions each
Please see the preview file for more background information and samples.
Ready for a challenge?
Try Math Faceoffs
for second graders and Lesh mats
for third graders.