Do your first graders have a hard time really understanding part, part whole? Mine always have and through the years, I've compiled a variety of lessons and activities that have proven to allow students to really grasp this difficult concept.
In this file you will find lesson plans, hands on activities and additional practice activities. I use many of the activities in a guided math setting, but they can also be completed as whole group lessons.
Here are the objectives for each lesson plan:
NOTE: Many of the lessons take more than just one day.
1. Understand the meaning of part and whole by breaking apart the number 5.
2. Understand how a whole number can be broken into two parts.
3. Students will be able to use manipulatives to break a number into two parts in multiple ways.
4. Students will be able to choose a number that they can break into two parts in multiple ways to complete the craftivity.
5. Students will be able to record addition facts for two parts in order the find the whole in a number bond.
6. Students will be able take any number and break it into two parts using manipulatives. Students will record the addition equation and display beginning understanding of the communicative property.
7. Students will be able to use their understanding of breaking apart a whole number, to find a missing part in a part, part whole situation.
There are additional practice sheets and station activities also included in this file to use as you see fit! I hope this helps your students in their understanding to part, part whole!
Click for more math resources from me!
Comparing Numbers Games and Activities
Exploring Manipulatives Games & Activities
Interactive Math Journals