Hey friend! This product from Wild Child Designs has two parts. It’s meant to help you and your students take a break from the worksheets to creatively explore powers of 10 and other exponential number patterns. Both parts have been tried and tested in my fifth grade classroom.
The first part requires students to use patterned paper to create a model of powers of 10, from 10 to the first power to 10 to the sixth power.
The second part takes students through a visible thinking routine called Claim-Support-Question. Students work through the three steps to answer a math question that asks students to think deeply about exponential number patterns. This lesson is meant to be collaborative.
Here's what you can expect from your download:
1. 9 pages of Teacher Talk lesson plans, tips, and examples.
2. 2 black and white interactive notebook pages for student use.
3. 3 pages of colored photos of students' powers of 10 models.
4. 1 page detailing The Math Challenge for display (colored).
5. 7 pages of patterned paper for creating the powers of 10 models.
6. 3 colored student pages for describing and reflecting on students' powers of 10 models.
7. 3 duplicates of item #6 in this list in black and white... student pages for describing and reflecting on students' powers of 10 models.
8. 7 colored pages for display purposes for guiding students through the Claim-Support-Question thinking routine.
9. 1 colored "Thinking Investigation" page for students.
10. Duplicate of #9 in black and white for student use.
That's a total of 37 powerful pages!