This “Doodle and Do” resource includes DOODLE NOTES to help students develop understanding of the Problem-Solution Nonfiction Text Structure AND six activities that students can DO to help them showcase their learning. Since the doodle notes (or sketch notes) encourage students to color, doodle, and/or embellish their notes as they learn, they are able to increase their retention of the material. Then, they can take their learning to a new level as they progress through engaging activities that help them develop, showcase, and master their understanding of the Problem-Solution Nonfiction Text Structure. This resource will take at least 3 days to complete.
This resource is a part of the Nonfiction Text Structures Mini-Unit Bundle!
The bundle includes Doodle and Do mini-units for each Nonfiction Text Structure: Problem and Solution, Compare and Contrast, Cause and Effect, Description,
and Chronological Order.
About the “Doodle” Notes:
Students will develop an understanding of the Problem-Solution Nonfiction Text Structure first by completing a set of doodle notes. Doodle notes are color-it-in, fill-it-in, and doodle-encouraging note sheets. They’re not only visually engaging, they’re also effective in helping students increase their focus and ability to recall information. Plus…they’re really fun! In this resource, there are 2 options of Doodle Notes:
• Option 1: All the notes are filled in. With this option students will color, embellish, and add doodles to the notes as you review the information with the class.
• Option 2: Some of the notes are filled in and students need to fill in the remainder of the notes (like guided notes). Students will work to fill in the notes as you teach the content.
About the “Do” Activities
After students complete their Doodle Notes it’s time for them to “Do” some fun activities. The activities are designed around lessons to help students deepen their understanding of the Problem-Solution Nonfiction Text Structure. There are six activities in all:
• Doodle a Solution: Students carry the doodle concept into the first activity where they doodle solutions to four common problems.
• Signal Words Sort: Students learn about the key words that authors use to signal problems and solutions. Then, they sort the words into two categories.
• Problem-Solution Text Structure Matching: Students review 8 problems and 8 solutions. Then, they match each problem with a solution.
• Problem-Solution Text Structure Reading 1: Students read a passage using the problem-solution text structure and then respond to questions using textual evidence.
• Problem-Solution Text Structure Reading 2: Students practice reading another passage using the problem-solution text structure. Then, they respond to reading comprehension questions.
• Problem-Solution Text Structure Writing: Students review the start of a passage that includes just a problem. Then, after analyzing the problem and brainstorming possible solutions, they write the remainder of the passage.
Suggested Sequence & Planning:
• Doodle Notes on Problem-Solution Text Structure
• Doodle a Solution Activity
• Problem-Solution Signal Word Sort
• Problem-Solution Text Structure Matching
• Reading Passage and Comprehension Questions – “Transforming Vacant Lots”
• Reading Passage and Comprehension Questions – “Pollution and Marine Life”
• Problem-Solution Text Structure Writing
This detailed “Doodle and Do” resource includes:
- An overview and set-up of the mini-unit
- Doodle Notes lesson plan
- Detailed Lesson Plans for each “Do” Activity
- Doodle Notes – 2 versions! 1 version has all the notes filled in. The other version is missing some information and students are required to fill it in while learning.
- Student Learning Packet Cover Sheet
- Doodle a Solution Activity Sheet
- Problem-Solution Signal Word Sort
- Problem-Solution Matching
- 2 Long Reading Passage and Comprehension Questions
- Problem-Solution Writing Prompt
- All Answer Keys
This unit is also available in an interactive notebook format where students complete the "Doodle and Do" activities with fun interactive notebook activities. You can check it out here: Problem-Solution – Doodle and Do Interactive Notebook
Or, you may also like…
Independent Reading Program
- 6-week program – any book!
Memoir Writing Unit
Emergency Sub Plans
- No copies needed!
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
*** Click HERE
to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter
filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
*** Click HERE
to become a seller on TpT
(Referral by Brain Waves Instruction)
Brain Waves Instruction