In this learning centers resource students will learn about Albert Einstein while practicing reading comprehension skills. This resource contains five learning centers (reading comprehension and art integration) for students to rotate through in small groups. Each center lesson and activity is designed to give students engaging and exciting learning experiences to learn about Albert Einstein. They’ll learn about significant events in his life, the contributions he made to the world, and his struggles and triumphs.
Students will create a tab book about Einstein and practice critical reading comprehension skills as they complete five engaging tasks at the learning centers. Students will visit each center with a small group and complete tasks and targeted reading comprehension assignments. Specifically, students will work on finding sequence, fact and opinion, cause and effect, context clues, and quote analysis (with art integration).Working both independently and with their small groups, students will have multiple opportunities to develop their reading comprehension skills and learn about Albert Einstein.
Depending on the structure of your English Language Arts classroom this resource could span the course of several instructional day.
About the Learning Centers
Center 1 - Sequencing
- Timeline - At this center students will be arranging significant events in Albert Einstein’s life in the correct sequence. First, they’ll learn how to find the sequence of events. Then, they’ll practice by putting cut-up events in the correct order. They’ll glue the events in the correct sequence into their tab books.
Center 2 - Fact and Opinion
- Einstein’s Childhood - At this center students will be reading a passage about Albert Einstein’s childhood. The passage includes facts and opinions. After reading, they’ll cut out fact and opinion cards, sort them and glue them into their tab books.
Center 3 - Context Clues
- Adulthood - At this center students will be reading a nonfiction passage about Albert Einstein’s adulthood. The passage contains some challenging vocabulary. Students will need to use context clues to figure out each word’s meaning.
Center 4 - Cause and Effect
- Einstein’s Struggles and Triumphs - At this center students will be practicing the skill of identifying causes and effects. Students will cut out cause and effect cards, sort them into the correct categories and glue them into their tab books.
Center 5 - Quote Analysis
- Art Integration - Students will enjoy art integration at this center. First, they’ll investigate a famous quote by Albert Einstein. After discussing and analyzing the quote with guided questions, students will have an opportunity to color in an Albert Einstein coloring page. This center activity is provided by Art with Jenny K
• Reading Comprehension Skills:
---- Finding the Main Idea
---- Finding the Meaning of Unknown Words in Context
---- Cause and Effect
---- Quote Analysis
• Reading and analyzing informational texts
• Engaging in collaborative discussions
• RI.1, RI.4, RI.7, RI.10, RF.3, RF.4, SL.1, SL.4, L.4, L.6
This detailed LEARNING CENTERS resource includes:
• Unit Overview
• Center Implementation Guide (Includes how to set up centers, manage centers, and grade centers)
• Detailed Centers Plans (5 total)
• Make a Tab Book Instructions Sheet
• Albert Einstein Reading Comprehension Centers Grading Sheet (50 points total)
• Learning Center Tab Book Pages (5 total)
• Materials for each Learning Center
--- Center Table Cards (5)
--- Detailed Center Directions (5)
--- Sequencing Events to Cut Out
--- Nonfiction Passage – Einstein’s Childhood
--- Fact and Opinion Cards to Cut Out
--- Nonfiction Passage – Einstein’s Adulthood
--- Cause and Effect Cards to Cut Out
--- Einstein Quote Coloring Page
• All Instructional Keys
Want to take this unit to the next level? Then, add this large pop art poster of Albert Einstein
created by Art with Jenny K
to these lessons. Students can work together to make a large pop art poster of Albert Einstein. It would work perfectly as an anticipatory set or culminating activity.
You may also like…
• Reading Comprehension Skills Mini-Units
- 6 Mini-Units – Context Clues, Inferences, Cause & Effect, Main Idea, Sequencing, Predictions
• 20 Creative Reading Response Prompts
- Students choose between 40 options!
• Fables Bundle
- Drama and Fable Study, Writing a Fable, and Creating a Children’s Book
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
*** Click HERE
to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter
filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
*** Click HERE
to become a seller on TpT
(Referral by Brain Waves Instruction)
Brain Waves Instruction