The Sailboat STEM activity is a great way to incorporate the engineering design process into your classroom or afterschool program! Many are familiar with the raft buoyancy challenge, and this takes it one step further by adding a sail! Now students must build a boat to hold a specific weight as well as incorporate aerodynamic principals to make it move. This is also a great activity for Thanksgiving by connecting the Sailboat Challenge to the voyage of the Mayflower-- for more information see our blog post http://www.vivifystem.com/blog/2017/11/9/thanksgiving-stem .
This hands-on activity is an engaging design challenge that allows students to work in teams, apply the engineering design process, and connect math topics to real-world applications. As a student-driven assignment, the purpose of the teacher is to act as a facilitator. You will provide the structure to the project, but students will take an active role in designing and building their sailboats. Our students have loved this activity, and we know yours will too!
As with many STEM activities that are student-driven, this challenge can be tailored to students of various skill levels and abilities. We have used this challenge from elementary through high school levels with great success.
Included in this product:
- Detailed teachers guide with links to resources
- Student handouts to guide them through the design process
- Student recording sheet for each step of the process
- Math connection problems including angles, ratios, geometry, and graphing
About STEM Challenges:
STEM challenges are an engaging way to incorporate the engineering design process into your classroom or afterschool program! These hands-on activities allow students to work in teams, apply the engineering design process, and connect science topics to real-world applications. The teacher will provide the structure to the project, but students will take an active role in designing and building their own balloon rocket device.
• Click the Green ★ to follow our store and get notifications of new products and freebies
• Leave feedback to receive TpT credit for use on future purchases
• Questions? Contact us in the Product Q&A section
♥ Connect With Us ♥