The activity Sentence Types – calendar routine has been developed to introduce and provide scaffolded investigations into form and function of the four types of sentences. The calendar Routine is one of several resources that support teachers using morning calendar routines to teach writing, phonics, grammar, rhyme and math. This resource is designed to support the modelled and guided writing; it can also be used in conjunction with writers’ workshop.
The four sentence types are statement, exclamation, question and command. Each one is uniquely illustrated to give visual cues to younger readers and writers to help them remember the function of each sentence.
This is a great resource for ESL/EAL teachers who want to investigate the form and function of the different sentence types.
Included in the resource
• Instructions and ideas for use
• Sets of calendar cards for 4 weeks covering all 4 sentence types
• 1 example page – how one picture can be used as a prompt for all sentence types
• 2 WHO/DO cards (Subject and predicate explained- teacher reference cards)
• 4 Blank create cards – supporting student voice and choice
• 4 Freya Model graphic organisers
• 4 information cards about the different types of sentences
• 6 Find and explore cards for student investigations
• 12 No school cards for calendar display
• 18 Create cards- pictorial prompts for writing