PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This listing features a four-page test about the Solar System for a middle school Earth Science class. It focuses on the sun, the eight major planets, and other celestial objects like comets.
· Short answer / defend your answer – regarding features you can or would never observe on planets due to their classification (2 questions)
· Multiple choice (19 questions)
· Write out the equation for nuclear fusion using a provided term bank
· Table – match the ancient scientist or mathematician to their credited contribution in astronomy (4 historical figures)
· Table – check mark the primary listed atmospheric gas for each of the eight planets
· Which planet? Write the name of the planet next to its stated unique feature (14 Q)
· Short answer – Four questions ranging from state two reasons why you would never see a solar eclipse on Venus to you and a friend see a shooting star and argue over whether it is a meteor or a comet (your guess) – who is correct and defend your answer.
Other topics covered on this test include the layers of the sun’s atmosphere, the main features of the sun’s surface, various gravitational forces in the Solar System, Greek/Latin breakdown of some root words, and other miscellaneous terms such as orbit, revolution, rotation, ellipse, and axis.
The test also asks students to identify the correct ranking of the terrestrial planets from the thickest to the thinnest atmosphere and from the hottest to the coldest planet.
This PDF document will become editable upon conversion to Microsoft Word using an Adobe Acrobat Reader app. You could alter the title and assigned point values after document conversion and use it as a summative study guide instead. I included a four-page key with the answers highlighted in red font.
This activity complements the Dialing a Better Understanding of the Sun Study Guide, Planets of our Solar System Crossword Puzzle Set, Introduction to the Solar System and Sun Crossword Puzzle Set and the Planet Match Activity in my store.
I offer dozens of quality field-tested, innovative, practical, and user-friendly products for several fields of science - biology, chemistry, field ecology, physical science, Earth science, space science and human anatomy and physiology.
I began launching my curriculum line through TpT in 2018. I have over twenty years of teaching and curriculum writing experience as the science department head. I joined TpT with seventeen years of publishing experience.