In this downloadable activity there are 12 different cards that teaches the learner to sort by Feature, Function and Class. This helps the learner go beyond receptively labeling an item to understanding each item based on what they are used for or what category/group they belong to.
General instructions for sorting cards by feature, function and class.
This activity can be assembled as:
· file folder activity using PRESSBOARD CLASSIFICATION FILE FOLDER WITH TWO DIVIDERS
· coil bind. However, if you do not have a coil binding machine you can use three loose leaf rings or a three-ring binder.
· Use alone as single sorting cards.
1) Print and laminate. Laminate the cover if you are coil binding or using loose leaf rings/binder. If you are coil binding or 3 ring binding also LAMINATE THREE BLANK PIECES OF PAPER. You will velcro your cards on the blank laminated pages.
2) Cut out individual shapes
3) Cut down the middle of the two sorting cards to create two separate cards for a total of 12 sorting cards. You can velcro two sorting cards on a blank laminated page using both front and back of the blank laminated page. This is a good way to store the cards and you can move them around to different pages to make sure the learner is understanding the concept on different pages.