This is a perfect Math & Literacy Unit for getting to know your students and their abilities. It is a short story about a little fish that looks at all the other fish and wants to be different. He wishes that he could be a different color. (Blue, green, red, yellow or purple.) Finally, he looks in a mirror and realizes that he is beautiful, too. He actually realizes that he was made to be someone very special and accepts himself just as he is.
This story is good to help students realize how special each person really is. Each student looks different, has different likes and dislikes, and has different abilities. It’s a good way to get to know about your students at any time of the year.
-Black and White Version with Fill In the Blanks for number and color words.
-Oh, How I Wished…Animated PowerPoint of the Reader (10 slides)
-Oh, How I Wished…Interactive Smartboard of the Reader (10 slides)
-Dolch Sight Words on Power Point (Words from the story are divided into categories: (Pre-Primer, Primer, First, and Second) Also, it includes 8 color words and 5 of the more difficult words from the story with pictures. (52 slides)
1. Sentence Strips (12 sentences from the story)
2. Vocabulary Matching Cards with Recording Sheet
3. Alphabetize Dolch Sight Words with Recording Sheet
4. Fish Number Cards (#s 1-10)
5. Counting Puzzles (#s1-10, #s11-20) (Count by 2s, 3s, 5s, and 10s). There is a variety for differentiation.
Printables for Literacy:
1. Who I Was Made to Be (2 levels for differentiation)
2. Writing Prompts (5 different prompts)
3. Underwater Rhyming Words (2 pages)
4. Underwater Word Search
Printables for Math:
1. Patterns under the Sea
2. Underwater Friends Addition and Subtraction (2 pages)
3. Underwater Math Fact Families
(#s1-10 and #s 11-20 for differentiation)
4. Word Problems (4 pages)
5. Count and Color the Fish
Please download the preview to see everything included in this unit, including a preview of the animated PowerPoint Presentation of the story.