Spring STEM Activity | Easter STEM Activity | Nice Nest STEM Challenge
What educators are saying
Also included in
- Looking for engaging spring and Easter STEM activities? These STEM or STEAM Challenges bring the joy back to your classroom with collaborative, hands-on, brain-busting work (disguised as fun)!The basic premise: Students work in partners or groups against criteria & constraints lists to design anPrice $8.98Original Price $17.50Save $8.52
- Super-charge your STEM class with 52 high-engagement, critical thinking, problem-solving, NGSS-aligned challenges to take you through the entire year! Modifications are included to make these activities engaging and challenging for students in grades 2 - 8. The basic premise: Students work in partnePrice $92.00Original Price $182.36Save $90.36
- Nice Nest is a STEM / STEAM lesson sure to engage and delight your students as a spring or Easter activity!The basic premise:Individually or in partners/groups, students will design and build a nest that holds as many eggs as possible using predominantly toilet paper.Resource includes:NGSS aligned sPrice $5.98Original Price $7.96Save $1.98
Nice Nest is a spring STEM or STEAM activity sure to engage and delight your students!
The basic premise:
Individually or in partners/groups, students will design and build a nest that holds as many eggs as possible using predominantly toilet paper.
Note: This is the printable version. If you are in a 1:1 / paperless classroom, you will want to check out the digital option for use with GOOGLE SLIDES™ instead.
If you have questions about which version is right for you, please feel free to leave me a question using the product Q&A below.
NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
- STEM Challenge How-to Video Links
- Materials and timing
- Criteria & Constraints (including modifications to increase difficulty for older students)
- Measuring results
- Post-design extension activities list
- Link to video walk through of this challenge
- Criteria & Constraints List (color and B&W)
- Design Analysis Handouts (2-page regular spacing and 4-page expanded spacing for primary students included; color and B&W)
- Discussion Questions (color and B&W)
- Process Flow Map
- Math Extension
- Bird Research Log (editable)
- Bird Idioms Log (editable)
This is one of five challenges available for a 40% discount in the Easter STEM Design Challenge 5-in-1 bundle.
This resource is also available in the STEM CHALLENGE YEAR-ROUND MEGA-BUNDLE at an even greater discount!
Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified.
Sample/suggested materials for each student or group:
- Toilet Paper (1 roll each; the cheaper, the better)
- Plastic bowl or container (preferably with transparent sides)
- Plastic eggs (12 of various sizes or all one size)
-- If a group creates a nest with greater capacity than 12 eggs, have groups buddy up for testing to share their eggs.
- Binder clips (4)
- Yarn (12 – 24 four-inch strips)
- Design analysis handouts (included)
– Small cups and water to test rain resistance
– Sand or clay to weight the eggs for added difficulty
What do teachers have to say about this resource?
“LOVED it! So did the students!!!”
“The kids loved this activity! I will definitely be doing this again!”
“This was great! Students learned a lot and so easy for me to use!”
"We did this activity with our Pre-K buddies! It was the Pre-K students FIRST STEM CHALLENGE and they loved it SO MUCH! They were so proud of their accomplishments! I was so proud of my 5th graders! They did such a great job!”
Please download the preview to see the challenge, and don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions!
You might also like these products:
⭐ Create-ure STEM Challenge
⭐ Earth Day STEM Challenge: New Earth City
⭐ Summer / End of the Year STEM Challenge 5-in-1 Bundle
⭐ Back to School STEM Challenge 5-in-1 Bundle
⭐ St. Patrick's Day STEM Challenge Bundle
⭐ STEM Design Challenge: Build a Boat
⭐ STEM Challenge: Flower Frenzy
⭐ Photosynthesis: Modeling Activity and Guided Notes Lessons
⭐ Analyze and Interpret Data Unit
⭐ Easter STEM Challenge Bundle