Rockets are always a students favorite! This STEM challenge pack includes a paper rocket activity, straw rocket engineering design challenge, handouts on Newton's Laws and forces, and extension problems on variable testing and graphing.
Topics covered in rocketry STEM challenge:
* Forces & motion
* Newton's Third Law
* Engineering Design Process
* Variables & testing
(1) Paper Rocket Activity:
Students make a paper rocket with the template provided and then launch with a smaller straw.
(2) Straw Rocket Challenge:
Students design and build a straw rocket to be launched with a Pitsco straw rocket launcher. Students test different variables to achieve a mission: (1) longest distance or (2) hit a target.
Students select a variable to test in order to optimize for longest distance. Students graph and reflect on results.
This packet includes:
- Detailed educator guide with links to resources
- Student handouts including Forces on a Rocket & Intro to Rocket Science
- Student recording packet for each step of the engineering design process
- Science extension activities to test and graph how different variables affect distance
About STEM Challenges:
STEM challenges are an engaging way to incorporate the engineering design process into your classroom or afterschool program! These hands-on activities allow students to work in teams, apply the engineering design process, and connect science topics to real-world applications. The teacher will provide the structure to the project, but students will take an active role in designing and building their own balloon rocket device.
• Click the Green ★ to follow our store and get notifications of new products and freebies
• Leave feedback to receive TpT credit for use on future purchases
• Questions? Contact us in the Product Q&A section
♥ Connect With Us ♥