This is a comprehensive exam for J.D. Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye. It is a rigorous assessment, but it can easily be modified to fit any level. The test contains 23 multiple choice-type questions, six shorter written response questions, and five extended response questions, totaling 129 points.
- matching (students must match a character with Holden's quote about him/her 24 points)
- multiple choice (45 points)
- short answer (15 points)
- quotation interpretation (students must interpret a quote and explain its significance, 15 points)
- extended response (students must complete three of five questions, 30 points)
- answer key included (except for extended response because these are mostly open to interpretation)