The Water Cycle is a weekly unit consisting of activities that focus on the skills of main idea. The activities can be completed as a whole class, small group, in partners, or in a center. The unit contains:
1. Title, Author, Genre, (copy on card stock)
3. Word Study (Idioms)
4. Comprehension (Close Reading)
5. Summary (Main Idea)
6. Vocabulary writing/drawing activities
7. Story note taking organizer for main ideas
8. Grammar practice sheet for combining sentences
Students have the opportunity to practice life skills through spelling, vocabulary, comprehension, writing, and art activities. The unit designed addresses the following Common Core Standards:
Informational Text Grades 4-5-6:
1. Ask and answer such questions as who, what, where, when, why and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in the text.
2. Identify the main purpose of the text, including what the author wants to answer, explain, or describe.
4. Determine the meaning of general academic and domain-specific words.
Foundational Skills for 4-5:
3. Apply grade-level phonics
Readiness Anchor Standards for Writing 4-5-6:
2. Write informative/explanatory texts to examine ideas and information clearly through organization and analysis of text.
5. Develop and strengthen writing as needed by planning, revising, editing, rewriting, or trying a new approach,
2. Write informative/explanatory texts in which they introduce a topic, use facts and definitions to develop points, and provide a concluding statement.