If you are looking for a dynamic, engaging research project, then you have come to the right place! I first did this wax museum unit at the end of last year with my fellow team teachers with our 7th grade.The students LOVED it. Learning about a historical figure of their choice (with guidance of course!) and then dressing up as that person excited them and got them fired up for the actual research they had to do. The final speeches and wax museum were absolutely awesome. We invited different grade levels at our school and parents to our wax museum. It was such a great day and a great experience for our students. I am so glad that your students will get to have that experience, too.
Here is what this comprehensive pack includes:
- Common Core standard alignment grades 5-7
- Wax museum tips, tricks, and timeline for a successful project
- Wax museum project pack for the students which includes instructions, a suggested list of possible choices, and a brainstorming guide
- Research packet instructions (students will staple this page to the front of their loose leaf booklets that they make)
- Non-fiction reader report (this assesses a reading standard and gives students early practice on writing an annotated bibliography)
- Speech writing graphic organizer
- Checklist (helps students keep track of due dates and what needs to be turned in)
- Extensive 2 page rubric w/ teacher and student self-evaluation
- Parent letter to invite them to wax museum
I hope that you will find this project to be dynamic and engaging for your fifth, sixth or seventh graders. At this end of this project, we had a TON of great evidence of their learning in a variety of different formats. We had their written research packets, had listened to their speeches, had seen how they tackled non-fiction texts and were able to get a true understanding of what each student could and could not do.
This is a perfect lead-in to later research projects and papers. Students will have the firm foundation they need to be successful in these future endeavors. Please feel free to contact me with any questions about this product!
Please note that when you purchase this unit, it is meant for one teacher use only. If you would like to share (which I would LOVE for you to do), please purchase additional licences. Please also note that the material in the unit is copyright of Jen Maschari and cannot be re-posted, re-published, or re-distributed in any way unless express permission is received from the author (except for classroom/student use).