Each weekend, my first graders take home one of 40 Weekend Writing Journals. Each cover has a writing prompt in the middle of a brightly colored background. In each journal are enough pages for every student in my class to write on at some point throughout the school year. I also include, in my journals, a checklist page in the front, with a list of students’ names, so we are able to keep track of who has taken each journal home. We share them throughout the week, and the students pick a new journal to take home each Friday.
In addition to 40 journal covers/writing prompts, I’ve included 2 copies of the writing page I use (I double-side them).
I am fortunate enough to have access to a bookbinding machine, so after printing the covers on white cardstock and laminating them, I bind the pages behind the cover with a binding comb. You could also book-staple the edge, or even print the covers and attach them to the front of any type of journal or notebook.
Sample writing prompts include -
- Write and draw about your favorite season. Why do you like that season best?
- Write and draw about a stuffed animal that is special to you.
- Write and draw about your favorite day of the week. Why do you like that day best?
- Write and draw about your favorite breakfast food.
- If you could save money to buy anything, what would you buy? Write and draw about it.
- PLUS 35 MORE!
Awesome backgrounds/graphics created by Marisa Anne at Anchor Me Designs.
If you enjoy this product, I’d so appreciate feedback! Thank you!