If you previously purchased my Simple Machines Bundle, then you already own this! Please see your purchases page to download the revisions.
If you are interested in the bundle, check it out here!
Explore the basics of engineering and discover more about Simple Machines
through hands-on activities and challenges for the inclined plane, lever, pulley, screw, wedge, and wheel & axle. Designed with multiple grade levels in mind, this resource provides a variety of activities, vocabulary, and lessons to fit your class' needs.
Lesson 1: Work and Force (includes Newton's First Law of Motion: inertia and friction)
Lesson 2: What is a Simple Machine?
Lesson 3: Inclined Plane
Lesson 4: Wedge
Lesson 5: Pulley
Lesson 6: Screw
Lesson 7: Lever
Lesson 8: Wheel and Axle
Lesson 9-10: Review and Assessment
• A complete Teacher Guide with material overview, parent letter, and lesson plans covering big ideas, essential questions, vocabulary, materials, step-by-step plans, and extensions (8 in all)
• Vocabulary Cards
• PowerPoint Presentations/printable books
• Whole class, group, and independent activities to design and build working models
• Student worksheets, informational texts, and interactive pages
• Review game for vocabulary
• Student comprehension assessment
• Student project with self-assessment and teacher rubric assessment
Please see the preview to see what's included.
Created for the following:
Next Generation Science Standards: K-2 Engineering
Ontario Curriculum: Gr. 2 Science
Looking for more Science units?
Energy Science Unit
Winter Weather: Snow Science
All about Apples Unit
Perfectly Imperfect in Second Grade