Six rounds include practice solving systems of linear equations using the linear combinations/elimination method. This activity includes two word problems.
Separate students into groups of four and give each student their own copy of Round 1. Students should discuss the problem as they work on it and agree on the correct answer. Once each student in the group has the correct answer, ONE person from the group takes ONE Round 1 sheet to have it checked by the teacher.
If the answer is correct, the student then picks up four copies of Round 2 for the group. If the answer is not correct, the teacher sends the student back so the group can correct Round 1.
Groups continue working until each round is completed and checked by the teacher for accuracy.
This activity works well early in a lesson when students are actively learning a new skill. The discussion and collaboration in the small groups enhance the students’ learning.
The answer key for the teacher is included.
Print enough copies (one-sided) for each student to have his/her own. Cut pages on the dotted lines to separate rounds into separate stacks (all of Round 1 is in one stack, Round 2 is in a different stack, etc.).
After handing out Round 1, keep stacks of Round 2, Round 3, etc. and only allow students to take the next round in order when their group is ready for it.
Included in the package:
• Six relay rounds
• Answer Key for Teacher
You might also like:
• Solve Linear Systems Using Substitution Relay Activity (6 rounds)
• Solve Linear Systems Using Substitution & Using Combinations Placemat Activities (2 activities)
• Solve Systems of Linear Equations Sum It Up Activity (8 stations)
• Solve Linear Systems In Context 1 & 2 (2 similar items & 2 deals) Placemat Activities (2 activities)
• Solve Linear Systems In Context 3 & 4 (age & percent problems) Placemat Activities (2 activities)
• Solve Linear Systems In Context 5 & 6 (find price & geometry problems) Placemat Activities (2 activities)
This purchase is for one teacher only.
This resource is not to be shared with colleagues or used by an entire grade level, school, or district without purchasing the proper number of licenses. If you are a coach, principal, or district interested in a site license, please contact me for a quote at firstname.lastname@example.org. This resource may not be uploaded to the internet in any form, including classroom/personal websites or network drives.