Two placemat activities include practice solving systems of linear equations using the substitution method and using the linear combinations / elimination method
With a partner, students solve all four equations on the placemat. After both students agree on the answers or solutions for all problems on the page, they then add the answers together to find the “Sum”. The teacher easily and quickly checks the “Sum” to evaluate the students’ understanding which allows the students to know if they made a mistake.
Print several copies of the placemat on one color of paper and slide them into plastic page protectors. The students can use dry erase markers on the plastic and easily wipe off their work when finished. Sometimes I print two different placemats with similar topics, each on their own color of paper, and put them back-to-back into the plastic page protectors.
This activity works well at the beginning of a lesson when students are actively learning a new skill and can also be used as a review.
The instructions are clearly marked on the students’ page and the answer key is included.
Included in the package:
Two placemats activities, each with four problems and space to write the “Sum” of the solutions.
-Linear Systems – Substitution
-Linear Systems – Combinations
Answer Keys for Teacher
***THIS PRODUCT IS PART OF A MONEY-SAVING BUNDLE***
Linear Systems Activities Bundle (5 Activities)
You might also like:
• Solve Linear Systems Using Substitution Relay Activity (6 rounds)
• Solve Linear Systems Using Combinations Relay Activity (6 rounds)
• Solve Systems of Linear Equations Sum It Up Activity (8 stations)
• Solve Linear Systems In Context 1 & 2 (2 similar items & 2 deals) Placemat Activities (2 activities)
• Solve Linear Systems In Context 3 & 4 (age & percent problems) Placemat Activities (2 activities)
• Solve Linear Systems In Context 5 & 6 (find price & geometry problems) Placemat Activities (2 activities)
This purchase is for one teacher only.
This resource is not to be shared with colleagues or used by an entire grade level, school, or district without purchasing the proper number of licenses. If you are a coach, principal, or district interested in a site license, please contact me for a quote at email@example.com. This resource may not be uploaded to the internet in any form, including classroom/personal websites or network drives.