This lesson uses Step Up to Writing instructional strategies to teach how to summarize. You can utilize this lesson regardless of your writing curriculum. The strategies used include providing a structured framework for students when summarizing. Students watch and summarize engaging short videos. This enables all students, including struggling readers, to learn the content without barriers. The lesson includes examples, practice, and the student worksheet and a reference sheet of verbs and transition words.
Updated on 10/26/14 to fix dead video links. Please re-download the file so your links are working!
Looking for a great deal?
Purchase Summarize This! and Summarize That! together. Summarize That! is perfect for reviewing summarization skills. It uses 3 new Pixar movies and works really well as a sub day lesson. Buy them together in a mini-bundle for $4.50 and save $1.00
• Summarize This! and Summarize That! mini-bundle
• or you can purchase the review lesson separately Summarize That! a review lesson
• Need another engaging video-based lesson? Try Figurative Language Introduction Video Lesson
• See all of my Video Lessons here!
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower. You will then receive customized email updates about this store.