I have 34 years experience as a public school teacher and Academic Achievement Specialist and absolutely love my profession!
I’m sharing what worked for me and achieved great student success with even the most difficult students and large class sizes. My goal is to help teachers deliver engaging, content-packed lessons that students love.
I use actives and projects that give students independence, choices, and allow creativity. When I taught 4/5 and looped with my students to 5/6 blended classes, the projects give me time to work with on grade level specific curriculum with the other group.
I mostly taught 4th grade but also taught grades 1,5,6, 7-8 grade math, 9-12 at-risk computers, and served as our district's K-12 Academic Achievement Specialist. I've been there and done that!
Project-based learning and using real life applications really gets student excited and taking charge of their own learning.
Hands-on learning is a must and integrating technology needs to be infused it whatever lessons possible.
I believe we should teach as if each child is gifted and talented because students rise to our expectations.
Students should not have to ask, "When are we ever going to use this?" because teaching with real life applications, they will KNOW.
• Disney Teacher Award Honoree, 2006
• Microsoft's First Worldwide Innovative Teacher
• Intel Innovative Teacher, 2005
• JASON XV Teacher Argonaut, Panama, Dr. Robert Ballard's Expedition Team, 2004
• Mount Vernon Teachers Institute Recipient from Oregon, 2010
• Mount Vernon Lesson Plan of the Year, 2010
• OnPoint Credit Union Excellence in Education Award, 2011
• Featured in the book, One-On-One with America's Most Inspiring Teachers, 2011
• Featured in the book, Teaching with the Internet K-12: New Literacies for New Times, 2004
• Redmond Wal-Mart Teacher of the Year, 2003
• Master of Arts in Teaching
• Bachelor of Arts Elementary Education
• Standard Elementary Teaching Certificate
• Mathematics Endorsement through Algebra I
• Reading Endorsement
We live on a 10-acre farm in Oregon with our Golden Retriever. Our only daughter is a Physical Therapist in New England. I enjoy family times, kayaking, traveling and camping, quilting, reading, and exploring the great outdoors.
My Previous Blog
My 4th Grade Classroom Website
English Language Arts, Balanced Literacy, Creative Writing, Writing-Expository, Reading, Grammar, Spelling, Vocabulary, Specialty, Math, Algebra, Arithmetic, Basic Operations, Fractions, Geometry, Graphing, Measurement, Numbers, Order of Operations, Science, Basic Principles, Biology, Earth Sciences, Social Studies - History, U.S. History, Arts & Music, Graphic Arts, Special Education, Other (Specialty), ELA Test Prep, Math Test Prep, Geography, Other (Social Studies - History), Gifted and Talented, Critical Thinking, For All Subject Areas, Literature, Classroom Management, Professional Development, School Counseling, Economics , Character Education, Word Problems, Study Skills, General Science, Problem Solving, Writing, Reading Strategies, Holidays/Seasonal, Back to School, Thanksgiving, Christmas/ Chanukah/ Kwanzaa, Poetry, Mental Math, Halloween, Winter, The New Year, Valentine's Day, Martin Luther King Day, Presidents' Day, Decimals, St. Patrick's Day, Easter, Place Value, Products For TpT Sellers, Tools for Common Core, For All Subjects, Informational Text, Handwriting, Test Preparation, End of Year, Close Reading, Women's History Month, Classroom Community