I love teaching upper grade students! I've taught mostly grades 4/5 and blended classes plus 6th grade, middle school math, 1st grade, high school at-risk computers, and served as our district's K-12 Academic Achievement Specialist.
I'm now retired from 34 years teaching in public schools and am passionate about helping make other teachers' jobs easier by sharing what worked for me. I taught blends with large class sizes of 30+ students, so the independent projects and activities I developed got students focused and gave me time to teach curriculum to students in the other grade level.
I give students choices using projects, activities, and hands-on materials and integrate technology everywhere possible to get the highest results.
Students rise to our expectations, so teach each child as if he or she is gifted and talented and be surprised at what they do!
Students should not have to ask, "When are we ever going to use this?" because teaching with real life applications, they will KNOW.
• Disney Teacher Award Honoree, 2006
• Microsoft's First Worldwide Innovative Teacher
• Intel Innovative Teacher, 2005
• JASON XV Teacher Argonaut, Panama, Dr. Robert Ballard's Expedition Team, 2004
• Mount Vernon Teachers Institute Recipient from Oregon, 2010
• Mount Vernon Lesson Plan of the Year, 2010
• OnPoint Credit Union Excellence in Education Award, 2011
• Featured in the book, One-On-One with America's Most Inspiring Teachers, 2011
• Featured in the book, Teaching with the Internet K-12: New Literacies for New Times, 2004
• Redmond Wal-Mart Teacher of the Year, 2003
• Master of Arts in Teaching
• Bachelor of Arts Elementary Education
• Standard Elementary Teaching Certificate
• Mathematics Endorsement through Algebra I
• Reading Endorsement
We live on a 10-acre farm in Oregon with our Golden Retriever. Our only daughter is a Physical Therapist in New England. I enjoy family times, kayaking, traveling and camping, quilting, reading, and exploring the great outdoors.
My Previous Blog
My 4th Grade Classroom Website
English Language Arts, Balanced Literacy, Creative Writing, Writing-Expository, Reading, Grammar, Spelling, Vocabulary, Specialty, Math, Algebra, Arithmetic, Basic Operations, Fractions, Geometry, Graphing, Measurement, Numbers, Order of Operations, Science, Basic Principles, Biology, Earth Sciences, Social Studies - History, U.S. History, Arts & Music, Graphic Arts, Special Education, Other (Specialty), ELA Test Prep, Math Test Prep, Geography, Other (Social Studies - History), Gifted and Talented, Critical Thinking, For All Subject Areas, Literature, Classroom Management, Professional Development, School Counseling, Economics , Character Education, Word Problems, Study Skills, General Science, Problem Solving, Writing, Reading Strategies, Holidays/Seasonal, Back to School, Thanksgiving, Christmas/ Chanukah/ Kwanzaa, Poetry, Mental Math, Halloween, Winter, The New Year, Valentine's Day, Martin Luther King Day, Presidents' Day, Decimals, St. Patrick's Day, Easter, Place Value, Products For TpT Sellers, Tools for Common Core, For All Subjects, Informational Text, Handwriting, Test Preparation, End of Year, Close Reading, Women's History Month, Classroom Community