Have your students work as a team in collaborative groups to solve word problems in math. Each member of the team has a specific role to encourage responsibility and active participation (see preview for more detail):
1. The READER reads the problem.
2. The CLARIFIER helps the group understand what the problem is asking and chooses important key words to circle or underline.
3. The DIRECTOR helps make a plan for solving the problem (i.e., "Let's add the tens and ones using a hundreds chart.")
4. Everyone solves the problem independently.
5. The MONITOR checks to make sure that everyone has a correct answer.
It is everyone's job in the group to "make sure that everyone works together respectfully as a team and actively participates."
This resource includes posters in both color and black & white. The posters display each role and the order in which students take turns doing their jobs. The download also contains job description cards (in color and B&W) to be cut out and passed out to individual students to refer to.
This activity meets several Speaking and Listening Common Core standards, as it encourages students to "participate in collaborative conversations with diverse partners." The individual roles encourage each member of the team to contribute ideas.
For collaborative groups in reading, you might also love:
Collaboration Groups for Reading Comprehension
OR you can bundle and save when you download the math and reading resources together:
Collaboration Learning Groups for Reading and Math Bundle