Handwriting, Phonics, and Word Work
A Teacher’s Guide from Nellie Edge
- With lessons
- Practice activities
Handwriting is taught in an authentic context:
- , using each child’s name
- , introducing words that have personal meaning to a child are introduced
- , high-frequency sentence lessons that build stamina for the Writing Workshop
We build this with
- letter recognition
- the beginning sounds of words, which are systematically and intentionally taught while practicing handwriting
This authentic, multisensory approach to handwriting is the most time-efficient and brain-friendly way to plant lifelong habits for good handwriting while building stamina and fluency for Writing Workshop. It's a proven program!
Why does "kindergarten-friendly" handwriting matter?
If handwriting motions are not fluent, it interferes with the whole writing process.
Your Kindergarten-Friendly Handwriting, Phonics, and Word Work Teacher’s Guide includes:
- Detailed handwriting lessons
- a year-long overview for scaffolded learning
- photo essays of students in classrooms using the program
- "parents as partners" connections
- optimal teaching model
- 30 Lessons for Essential Beginning Kindergarten Handwriting PLUS bonus pages. (75 pages)
- A – Z Student Practice Pages. Directly connect with key ABC Phonics Symbols, letter and sentence practice to differentiate learning (31 pages)
- MasterClass Intensive: What every kindergarten teacher and literacy coach needs to know about authentic handwriting instruction. 192-page, step-by-step PowerGuide by Nellie Edge in PDF format (which can be converted to a PowerPoint presentation). Literacy leaders and coaches use this for PLC time.
90% of our focus is on writing lowercase letters since over 90% of kindergarten writing uses lowercase letters, which are also easier to write.
Art-rich lessons featuring fingerspelling, sign language, drawing, movement chants, and singing are a part of our multisensory handwriting framework.
These powerful strategies create multisensory memory hooks—especially for English Language Learners and harder-to-accelerate learners. to find free fingerspelling tutorials.
Is this approach to kindergarten handwriting right for you?
Find out by downloading our to see photo essay documentation of these handwriting practices in diverse kindergarten classrooms.
How does this approach to handwriting work?
Nellie Edge Kindergarten-Friendly Handwriting program dramatically accelerates writing proficiency when used as designed within a comprehensive kindergarten writing program. Consider this for your Professional Development (PD) or PLC time!
Build with metacognition. Your language is so critical when talking to young writers!
Wow! How did you train your brain to remember how to print that letter?
This differentiated approach to handwriting recognizes the diverse nature of most kindergartens. Entering students often represent a 4-year span of fine motor and handwriting readiness!
What is our research base? See free eBook: What Is Your Research Base?
This authentic multisensory approach to Kindergarten-Friendly Handwriting, Phonics, and Word Work builds on the pioneering Reading Recovery® research from Marie Clay. It builds on what is known, provides individual coaching and weaves growth mindset challenges, and engaging integrated literacy lessons into authentic word work.
Kindergarten-Friendly Handwriting practices are consistent with decades of visual learning research documented by Dr. John Hatti. We give children high-expectations, crystal-clear, achievable learning targets, provide feedback, and then children learn to self-evaluate. Mastery of each phase of handwriting fluency is acknowledged and celebrated.
YOU DO NOT NEED TO PURCHASE this program if you have already purchased because you will already have free access to this updated 2018 resource.
Make these handwriting practices routine your classroom and watch your writing proficiency soar! Have the best writing year ever!
You may also want to check out these products:
Click HERE to Follow My Store and to be notified of new Nellie Edge Kindergarten (PreK-1) products. All new items are listed at 50% off for the first 48 hours after posting! Leave feedback and earn TpT credits.
Find resources and support on my website, NellieEdge.com
SMILES for joyful teaching and learning,