If you teach fifth grade math, this is EVERYTHING you need to teach the first part of fractions (5.NF.A.1, 2, and B.3) and cover the Common Core standards! This set was designed so you would have a complete unit. The presentation is so easy to follow that a substitute could even teach new content if you were unexpectedly absent!
There will be THREE parts to the fractions unit because it is a huge part of the 5th grade math curriculum!
Also, this is a great way to help enrich your high-flying fourth graders, or help reinforce concepts for sixth graders. The presentation could be self-guided when needed!
Please note this product is available in my 5th Grade Common Core Math Growing Bundle!!!. This bundle will start at it's cheapest price and go up as more units are added. For more information email me at email@example.com
There are five main topics (each include three assessments):
*Fractions as Division (of whole numbers)
*Adding Fractions with Unlike Denominators
*Subtracting Fractions with Unlike Denominators
*Estimating (Reasonableness) of Answers Using Benchmark Fractions
*Adding/Subtracting Mixed Numbers with Unlike Denominators
There are two review assessments on:
*Adding/Subtracting Fractions with Like Denominators
♦ List of standards that are covered (see above for standards covered)
♦A full in-depth presentation on all topics in this part of the Fraction Unit (1 of 3) (see above). This includes class practice questions and answers at the end of each topic's section!
♦3 Assessments PER main topic. Each topic has a regular practice assessment, an "Application" assessment (word problems, using tables), and a "Test Prep" with multiple choice (all w/ keys!)
♦A complete unit study guide (w/ key) in the "style" of Common Core assessment
♦A complete unit test (w/key) in the "style" of Common Core assessment
♦Everything you need for a math interactive notebook including a notes/practice page and a foldable for each topic. I have included a key and picture for each entry so you can see how I set up my notebook! There will be room for you to add any notes you want your students to include. Some topics have multiple pieces you can choose from, or use them all!
♦Vocabulary cards for your room covering: fraction, numerator, denominator, equivalent, mixed number, improper fraction, benchmark fractions
♦ Vocabulary chart that has 3 versions: term, definition, and example all given, only the term and definition given (student writes/draws example), and one with only the term given. (student writes/draws the definition and example)
♦Five total games/activities that could be used as class/group activities or centers that cover all topics:
* "Adding Fractions (w/ Unlike Denominators)" Chain Game (4 Levels of Difficulty) where students go head to head to solve problems, "knock" each other's pieces off the board and be the first to get four in a row!
* "Subtracting Fractions (w/ Unlike Denominators)" Chain Game (4 Levels of Difficulty) where students go head to head to solve problems, "knock" each other's pieces off the board and be the first to get four in a row!
* Fractions as Division "Triple Concentration" Game - students match the fraction to the division it represents, as well as a pictorial model representing the division
* Estimation (of reasonableness) with Benchmark Fractions Review "Clip-It" Task Cards (great for a "SCOOT" activity, centers, or whole group activity).
* "Cookin' Up Mixed Numbers" Board Game to review adding and subtracting mixed numbers.
* Fraction Bars for modeling and small group activities (black and white/color sets included)
* Extra blank fraction circles from halves to eighths included for extra modeling and small group activities
♦Paper 6-sided dice and 12-sided dice are included if needed, as well as 1-6 dice cards and 1-12 dice cards to use for games if that is easier.
♦Very detailed notes for you from me on how to use the set! This includes a "Unit Guide" correlating all of the mini-unit/topics in a chart for ease of use and planning!
♦ Support from me! Please feel free to email me for any issues you come across. I'm pretty quick to correct or help when needed. firstname.lastname@example.org
***Please note that while these are in color, they print beautifully in black and white! I know many of us do not have color printers at school, so I wanted to make sure these worked both ways!
***These files are all in PDF format, to show the presentation full screen, go to "view", then "Full Screen Mode" and it will view just like a PowerPoint Presentation! This even works with a remote if you have one in your classroom, again, just click to advance the slides like a PPT.
Here are all of my 5th Grade Common Core Math Sets:
Check out my 4th Grade Common Core Sets:
I hope you enjoy this item. If you have any questions, concerns or ideas for custom work, please contact me! Thanks and stop by again soon!