This no-prep product is all of the notes, labs, activities, practices, quizzes, and tests you need to teach a genetics unit in your biology class. Content covered includes DNA and RNA structure, DNA replication, protein synthesis, and meiosis. A review project and links to video lectures are also included. Everything is provided for two levels – CP and Honors. Because it is all-inclusive, it is especially perfect for new teachers, maternity leave, and flipped classrooms!
This is Unit 4 in my Biology Curriculum Full Year Bundle.
You can buy this unit for 20% off if you purchase as a part of my full year bundle.
What content is covered in this unit?
• DNA and RNA Structure
• DNA Replication
• Protein Synthesis: Transcription and Translation
What is included?
encourage you to download the preview for this product. It is 18 pages and will give you the best idea of what all is included – because there is so much in this! In short:
• 33 pages of teacher implementation notes + editable unit plans
• Two packets (one 32-page for CP and one 35-page for Honors) that include:
• Unit outline with objectives and vocabulary terms for each concept covered for students to use to make their own study guides from
• Notes outlines for each of the three main concepts in Cornell Note format
• 5 practice handouts on DNA structure, replication, protein synthesis, haploid v. diploid, and meiosis
• Video Questions for Cracking the Code of Life
• Activity: Understanding DNA Structure
• Activity: Building a Candy Model
• Activity: Protein Synthesis Scavenger Hunt
• Game: Protein Syn-thingo
• QR Code Lab Stations: Putting it All Together
• Project: Create a Children’s Book
• 6 fully animated PowerPoints of notes – over 100 slides – differentiated for CP and Honors
• Links to YouTube video lectures for each of the PowerPoint notes – perfect for absent students or flipped classrooms!
• 4 cumulative unit tests with multiple choice, open response, answer sheets, and detailed answer keys and a meiosis quiz for CP + editable versions to customize for your classroom.
What do you mean the tests are cumulative?
All tests I write are cumulative and include questions from topics I’ve previously taught on throughout the year, based on the order in which I teach them. Each unit test builds on the previous. This genetics unit is the 4th I teach in my biology class, after my Energy Flow Unit, Cells Unit,
and Biology Basics Unit.
All of the cumulative questions are at the end of the test, and I include editable versions of the tests so that you can easily take this section out, if you so desire.
What Next Generation Science Standards are covered?
HS-LS1-1. Construct an explanation based on evidence for how the structure of DNA determines the structure of proteins, which carry out the essential functions of life through systems of specialized cells.
HS-LS1-6. Construct and revise an explanation based on evidence for how carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen from sugar molecules may combine with other elements to form amino acids and/or other large carbon-based molecules.
HS-LS3-1. Ask questions to clarify relationships about the role of DNA and chromosomes in coding the instructions for characteristic traits passed from parents to offspring.
HS-LS3-2. Make and defend a claim based on evidence that inheritable genetic variations may result from: (1) new genetic combinations through meiosis, (2) viable errors occurring during replication, and/or (3) mutations caused by environmental factors.
Why use a “packet” instead of an interactive notebook?
I started creating packets for my students four years ago, and I love them so much more than interactive notebooks. While interactive notebooks are great resources, I have found the packet strategy to be a more appropriate tool for using in the secondary classroom setting. I love using the packet for many reasons.
1. I only have to make copies one time each unit instead of copying handouts every day. Even though it takes a while to copy the packets for each student, it saves so much time on the day to day. (Also the last two years I’ve recruited seniors to be my “Teacher’s Aide” and have trained them to copy all of my packets for me. I haven’t seen a copier in two years and it’s glorious)
2. It puts responsibility back on the students to maintain their biology binder with their packet, while also aiding them in practicing organization skills. It has been incredibly effective for my lower level students. Even though it is a lot of papers at once, I can watch them put it in their binder and leave it there, rather than having to hang on to 100 individual papers passed out each day.
3. It makes it so easy to be absent last minute. If you or your child gets sick, sub plans are a breeze. You don’t have to send your teacher neighbor to make copies for you – because your students have everything they need. You just have to tell the sub which pages the students need to work on.
4. The structure is more suited to what students will be doing in college – and one of our goals as high school teachers should be to prepare our students for college. The packet helps students learn how to structure notes (I give students Cornell-style note outlines for each concept) which I have found helps provide scaffolding for them to be able to write notes all on their own in later high school years.
5. Time saver in so many ways – no more time wasted regularly passing out handouts, or having to cut and paste things into a notebook.
6. Students do a better job keeping up with returned graded work because every page is numbered so they can put graded assignments right back into the packet where it came from.
7. You no longer need a filing cabinet – you can keep all of your curriculum and keys organized in binders!
What types of files are included?
When you download this product you will receive a zip file with 5 folders of files. Most of the documents in this product are secured PDF’s, meaning you can print them but not copy or edit the text. Editable versions are only included for the unit plans, quizzes, tests and some aspects of the activities for you to customize for your classroom. The PowerPoint lecture notes also have editable text. This is to protect the copyright and intellectual property of my own work, plus the work of many dedicated clip artists that are included in this product. If you have questions about this, please don’t hesitate to email me with them!
Why should I use this product in my classroom?
Designing curriculum for an entire unit that is engaging, activity-based, and standard-aligned can be exhausting. I’ve spent over 4 years creating this curriculum and have had amazing results. I had a 96% pass rate on the State standardized End-of-Course exam for Non-Honors students and a 100% pass rate for honors students. This was at a South Carolina Public School with over 50% of the students being below the poverty line. My average score on the EOC (all 200+ students combined that I taught over 2 years) was a 90%. I believe this success is due to multiple factors, but I attribute a lot of it to the packet curriculum I have designed, and the fact that all of my tests are cumulative. Honestly, I could go on and on about the packet as a resource and why I love it so much, but I think you will find as you use it that you will fall in love with it too. Last but not least, this product comes with links to video lectures for each set of notes. This resource + all of the detailed lesson plans makes this product perfect for teachers new to this subject, going on maternity leave for a long-term sub, or using a flipped classroom strategy.
Want this for a different unit?
I have made this product for every high school biology unit. You can also buy this product for:
• Biology Basics Unit
• Cells Unit
• Energy Flow Unit
• Heredity Unit
• Evolution Unit
• Ecology Unit
Or get all of the units at a 20% discount if you by the full year curriculum!
• Biology Curriculum Full Year Bundle.
Looking for complementary resources?
My daily bell ringers and test review games are not included in this bundle, but you can find them for this unit by clicking below!
• Genetics Daily Bell Ringers or Exit Slips
• Genetics Vocabulary Review Game
What if I have a question?
Email me at email@example.com I’d love to answer any questions you have!
How do I stay updated on new products, sales, and freebies?
**Follow Me** by clicking the green star by my store name. I add new products weekly so this is the best way to keep up with what’s happening at It’s Not Rocket Science!
• Use this item for your own classroom, students, or for your own personal use.
• Buy additional licenses for others to use this product at a discount by visiting your TpT “My Purchases” page.
• Review this product to recommend others buy it in blog posts, at professional development workshops, or other venues as long as credit is given to my store with a direct link to my store/product.
You may not...
• Upload this product to any website or server – even one for your classroom.
• Give this product to others without the purchase of an additional license for them (this includes emailing, printing copies, or sharing through a website, cloud or other network.)
• Copy or modify any part of this document to offer others for free or for sale.