Twelve rounds include practice or review solving two-step linear equations. The activity includes problems involving addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and fractions.
***GET THIS PRODUCT AS PART OF A MONEY-SAVING BUNDLE***
Algebra 1 Problem Pass Activities Bundle (37 Activities)
Students work with a partner while seated at their desks. They should write in their own notebook or on the blank Answer Sheet (included).
At the same time the first pair of students is working on Problem 1, the second pair works on Problem 2, the third pair works on Problem 3, etc. At the teacher’s signal, all students pass their problem in a specific direction. The students who started with Problem 2 should now pass it to the students who started with Problem 1, the students who started with Problem 3 pass it to the students who started with Problem 2, etc. The first pair of students starting with Problem 1 should deliver their finished problem to the last pair of students, or the teacher may prefer to deliver these each time. Students now flip over their new page to find the ANSWER to the problem they just finished.
Students continue to work problems in order, pass problems and check their answers on the back of the next problem page until they have completed all problems included in the activity.
It is important for the teacher to tell the entire class when to pass their first problem and to tell everyone where to look for the first answer on the back of their NEXT problem. After this first pass together, I’ve allowed students to work and pass problems at their own pace. Teachers may prefer to set a timer so all students pass their current problem to the next pair of students simultaneously.
This activity works well in the middle of a lesson while students are actively practicing a new skill or can be used as a review.
The answer key is built into the activity so students check for accuracy themselves.
CCSS: Solve equations and inequalities in one variable.
8.EE.C.7 Solve linear equations in one variable.
8.EE.C.7b Solve linear equations with rational number coefficients, including equations whose solutions require expanding expressions using the distributive property and collecting like terms.
HSA.REI.B.3 Solve linear equations and inequalities in one variable, including equations with coefficients represented by letters.
Print single-sided copies and slide pages into plastic page protectors to keep problems and answers together. Put Problem 1 and ANSWER Problem 12 back-to-back in the same plastic page protector; put Problem 2 and ANSWER Problem 1 back-to-back in another plastic page protector, Problem 3 and ANSWER Problem 2 together, etc. Prepare 2 or more complete sets of the activity to have enough pages for each pair of students in the class. Keep complete sets in order.
It is very important to hand out problems in numerical order so the page with the answer on the back follows its problem number. As you hand out problems in order, problem side up, tell each pair of students the direction they should pass their problem when finished. This direction may vary by row if you zig-zag or “snake” up and down the rows of desks. The first pair of students starting with Problem 1 should deliver their finished problems to the last pair of students, or you may prefer to deliver these each time.
(Optional) Print enough copies of the blank Answer Sheet for each student to use as they work the problems. Another option is for students to write in their own notebooks.
Included in the package:
• Twelve “Problem Pass” pages in two formats for two printing options
• Answer pages for students to self-check
• Blank answer sheet for students (optional)
• Answer Key for Teacher
You might also like:
• Solve One-Step, Two-Step & Multi-Step Linear Equations Placemat Activities (2 activities)
• Solve Linear Equations With Variables on Both Sides & From Proportions Placemat Activities (2 activities)
• Solve One-Step Linear Equations Problem Pass Activity (12 rounds)
• Graph Linear Equations Problems Pass Activity (12 rounds)
• Linear Graphs Scavenger Hunt Activity (6 stations)
• Find Slope & Y-Intercept Sum It Up Activity (7 stations)
• Find Slope & Write Linear Equations Given Two Points Placemat Activities (2 activities)
• Rewrite Linear Equations Into Slope-Intercept Form & Standard Form Placemat Activities (2 activities)
• Point-Slope, Slope-Intercept & Standard Form Sum It Up Activity (8 stations)
• Parallel & Perpendicular Lines Sum It Up Activity (6 stations)
• Write Linear Equations From Context Problem Pass Activity (6 problems)
• Write Linear Equations In Context & Mixed Review Placemat Activities (2 activities)
This purchase is for one teacher only.
This resource is not to be shared with colleagues or used by an entire grade level, school, or district without purchasing the proper number of licenses. If you are a coach, principal, or district interested in a site license, please contact me for a quote at firstname.lastname@example.org. This resource may not be uploaded to the internet in any form, including classroom/personal websites or network drives.