Plessy v. Ferguson, Brown v. Board of Education, Montgomery Bus Boycott, Desegregation of Little Rock High School, Lunch Counter Sit-Ins, Freedom Rides, Mississippi Riots, March on Washington, Freedom Summer, Selma to Montgomery March, 1965 Voting Rights Act, Black Lives Matter.
These are the most ENGAGING notes on TpT! Learners of all types engage with this RELEVANT instruction. The Civil Rights Movement is presented as a journey that leads into current events and REAL-WORLD instruction. Teacher helps are included to help you with how to teach your direct instruction.
Students fill in their notes organizer which include fun buttons to help visual students identify each stop with the content. This lesson is presented as 12 stops throughout history that lead to today's world. Each stop allows students to use KAGAN cooperative learning structures to discuss with a new partner. Students will LOVE the engaging way to teach the Civil Rights Movement.
The 12 stops on this JOURNEY through LIFE are:
1) Plessy vs Ferguson
2) Brown vs Board of Education
3) Montgomery Bus Boycott
4) Desegregation of Little Rock High School
5) Lunch Counter Sit Ins
6) Freedom Rides
7) Mississippi Riots
8) March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom
9) Freedom Summer
10) Selma to Montgomery March
11) Voting Rights Act of 1965
12) Black Lives Matter
There is also a key provided to help students who are absent. Who says that direct instruction can't be engaging? This resource is PACKED with DEPTH and can be done in several ways. You may want to use each stop to teach a larger lesson each day, or to show the Civil Rights Movement as a story.
Get the whole INTERACTIVE and ENGAGING Civil Rights Unit HERE, and SAVE big money!
Individual Products from this unit include:
1. Civil Rights 30 DBQ Bellringers Warm Ups Mega-Pack
2. Civil Rights Movement - Journey Through Life Notes - SUPER ENGAGING INTERACTIVE NOTES!
3. Jim Crow Laws Photo Assessment
4. Montgomery Bus Boycott & Rosa Parks Skit and Option Project
5. Civil Rights Leaders and Activists Notes - VERY ENGAGING POWERPOINT with COOPERATIVE LEARNING!
6. Martin Luther King, Jr. "I Have a Dream" Visual Expression Project
7. Loving Movie Worksheet
8. FUN Stations Activity where students analyze 10 Martin Luther King, Jr. Quotes!
9. 1965 Alabama Voting Simulation - "Would you be able to vote?" - 1st person POINT OF VIEW learning!
10. Voting Rights Act of 1965 Reading Activity
11. Civil Rights Movement Comic Strip Project
12. 40 HIGHLY VISUAL Civil Rights Task Cards with a Cooperative Learning Option!
13. Civil Rights Movement FUN Review Games! - includes THE WALL Card Game based on the TV Show, Four Corners of Fun, and The Bids!
14. Civil Rights Movement Unit Test with Study Guide - Relevant, Real-World Assessment
15. Civil Rights Movement 5 Highly Visual DBQ Primary Sources
I hope that you enjoy these activities! Please remember to follow Playing With History on Teachers Pay Teachers, Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram for giveaways and news on new products and updates! Please rate for your TpT credits!